Monday, April 21, 2014

Adventures in Online Dating

If you're not familiar with OK Cupid (OKC), you should know that they have a match % system, based upon your answers to their list of questions. It's quite interesting, and obnoxious at the same time. Interesting because you can choose how important something is to you, and what answers are acceptable/unacceptable. Obnoxious because I'm one of those people that doesn't believe everything is black and white, my answers changed based on circumstances. But it's still a good tool to get started with.

With that being said, here is one of the email conversations I've had!

Male, 48. 32% match/62% enemy (wtf? why are you even looking at my profile, idiot?):
Hello 

Read your profile. Have a few questions however

Me: um, ok.

Him: I love your honesty. However are you always a potty mouth?? Lol
*For the record, there are exactly two (2!) cuss words in my profile.)
I like your pics and forwardness. Have u been used or hurt bad?

I am a drama free man. So my interest is to find a serious honest person. 

Hope we can chat.

Mike.

Me: I don't use profanity as much as I used to now that I have kids. I don't think there's anything wrong with cuss words, they're just words, and they only have the power that you give them.

I've been hurt, yes. No one makes it to 40 without being hurt in some way. In my case, it's because I left a religious cult and had my bio-family turn their backs on me. I find religion... distasteful, if not harmful. 

You seem to be looking for a life partner. I am not that person.

Him: Best wishes.

I will pray for u.

Me: *block* Exactly ONE person has permission to add me to his daily prayers, and this guy is NOT it!

I'm completely upfront in the first paragraph of my profile that I'm married and in an open relationship, why men who take their monogamy very seriously are sending me messages I have no idea. I'm also clear about being an Atheist. This man is *very* monogamous and *very* religious. *shakes head at the stupidity*

For now, I've changed my profile to show that I'm only looking for women. I seem to have a plethora of men that still look at my profile and email, though. Figures.

No comments: